Chiropractors: MSK experts
Chiropractors are spine and musculoskeletal (MSK) system experts specifically trained to diagnose the underlying cause, treat and recommend options to relieve pain, restore mobility and prevent reoccurrence so people can lead healthy active lives.
The MSK system is comprised of:
- connective tissues
- nervous system
As experts in spine and MSK health, chiropractors can also:
- recommend exercises
- give you information about nutrition and a healthy diet
- give you information about general health and staying as healthy as possible
For more information, see chiropractic treatment.
Being regulated means that chiropractors in Alberta must obey all legislative requirements set by the government for all health care providers. Other health care providers that are regulated include nurses, dentists, medical doctors and optometrists.
In Alberta, the Health Professions Act ensures all regulated health care providers:
- are educated and trained to national standards
- practice within a defined scope of practice
- adhere to strict Standards of Practice and Code of Ethics
- hold liability protection/coverage
- meet continuing competency standards
- are accountable to a regulatory organization
The College of Chiropractors of Alberta is entrusted with administering the regulatory requirements set by government in the Health Professions Act (legislation) for all chiropractors.
In Canada, chiropractors must:
- complete at least seven years of post-secondary education, including a four-year academic program at an accredited chiropractic college
- treat patients in a supervised clinic setting during their final two years of education
In Alberta, chiropractors must:
- pass national clinical competency examination
- maintain professional competency through approved seminars and courses